• Don't post anything you wouldn't say to your family, a coach, employer or media.
• Encourage athletes to set security settings so only friends can see social media activity.
• Your followers and friends are a reflection of you.
• Avoid any negative posts and any opinion on a controversial subject or topic.
• Don't post when emotional.
• Provide annual sessions on proper use.
• If you are second-guessing a possible post, don't post it.
• Ask for guidance from a coach or administrator if you are uncertain about how to respond to something.
• Student-athletes must notify coaches of any social media accounts they maintain.
• Create a scale of possible disciplinary action based on the nature of the misuse.
Source: Player and coach interviews, University of Michigan social media use guidelines